Transferring Norton antivirus software to a new computer is essential for users who have purchased and installed the software on their previous device. Whether you have bought a new computer or are simply replacing an old one, it is important to understand how to properly transfer Norton to ensure uninterrupted protection against malware and other online threats. In this article, we will discuss the need to transfer Norton antivirus software, as well as the potential challenges that may arise during the process.
Backing Up Norton and Important Files
One of the key tasks when transferring Norton antivirus to a new computer is backing up all important files, including the antivirus software itself, as well as any customized settings and configurations. This ensures a seamless transition to the new device without losing any critical data. Follow the steps below to create a backup and transfer Norton to a new computer.
Step 1: Create a Backup of Norton Antivirus
The first step is to create a backup of your Norton antivirus software on the old computer. This will save all the necessary files and settings required for later transfer. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open Norton antivirus on your computer.
- Click on the “Settings” option.
- Select the “Backup Settings” or “Backup” tab.
- Choose the files and settings that you want to include in the backup.
- Select the destination where you want to save the backup files, such as an external hard drive or cloud storage.
- Click on the “Start Backup” or “Create Backup” button to initiate the backup process.
- Wait for the backup to complete.
Step 2: Transfer the Backup Files to the New Computer
Once the backup is created, it’s time to transfer the files to the new computer. Follow these steps:
- Connect the external hard drive or access the cloud storage that contains the backup files.
- Copy the backup files to a location on the new computer, such as the desktop or a specific folder.
By following these steps, you ensure that all the necessary Norton files and settings are retained during the transfer process.
Step 3: Install Norton Antivirus on the New Computer
To continue using Norton antivirus on the new computer, you need to install the software. Follow these steps to complete the installation:
- Open the location where you saved the backup files.
- Locate the Norton installation file, usually ending with the extension “.exe”.
- Double-click on the installation file to initiate the installation process.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install Norton antivirus on the new computer.
- During the installation, if prompted, enter your Norton product key to activate the software.
- Once the installation is complete, ensure that you’re connected to the internet to enable Norton to update its virus definitions.
After the installation and activation, Norton antivirus should be up and running smoothly on your new computer, with all your previous settings and configurations intact.
Step 4: Update Norton and Run a Full System Scan
Now that Norton is installed on the new computer, it is essential to update it to the latest version. This ensures that your computer is protected against the latest threats and vulnerabilities. Follow these steps to update Norton and perform a full system scan:
- Open Norton antivirus on the new computer.
- Click on the “LiveUpdate” or “Update” option.
- Wait for Norton to download and install the latest updates.
- Once the update is complete, click on the “Scan” or “Scan Now” option.
- Select “Full System Scan” to scan your entire computer for any potential threats.
- Wait for the scan to complete and follow any instructions provided by Norton to resolve any detected issues.
By completing these steps, you have successfully transferred Norton antivirus to your new computer while preserving all your important files, settings, and configurations. Remember to keep Norton and your computer’s operating system updated regularly to ensure maximum protection against emerging threats.
Deactivating Norton on the Old Computer
When transferring Norton antivirus software to a new computer, it is essential to deactivate it on the old computer first. Deactivating Norton ensures a smooth and hassle-free activation process on the new computer and helps prevent any conflicts or issues that may arise. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to deactivate Norton on your old computer.
Step 1: Open Norton Antivirus
To begin, launch the Norton antivirus software on your old computer. You can usually find the Norton icon in the system tray located at the bottom right corner of your screen. Simply double-click the icon to open Norton Antivirus.
Step 2: Access the Settings
Once you have the Norton Antivirus window open, look for the “Settings” option. It is typically located in the upper-right corner of the window. Click on the “Settings” option to proceed.
Step 3: Disable the Security
In the settings menu, locate the “Security” tab and click on it. Under the “Security” tab, you will find various options related to protecting your computer. Look for the option to “Turn Off” or “Disable” the security features temporarily. Click on it to disable Norton Antivirus.
Step 4: Confirm Deactivation
After disabling the security features, a confirmation prompt will appear on your screen. This prompt will ask you to confirm the deactivation of Norton Antivirus. Read the information provided carefully and click “Yes” or “Confirm” to proceed with the deactivation process.
Step 5: Restart the Computer
Upon confirming the deactivation, it is advisable to restart your computer. Restarting the computer ensures that any changes made to the Norton software take effect properly. Simply click on the “Restart” option and wait for your computer to reboot.
Step 6: Verify Deactivation
Once your computer restarts, open Norton Antivirus again. Navigate to the “Settings” menu and click on the “Security” tab. Verify that the antivirus software is fully deactivated by checking if the security features remain turned off or disabled. If all features are indeed deactivated, you have successfully deactivated Norton on your old computer.
In conclusion, when transferring Norton antivirus to a new computer, it is crucial to deactivate it on the old computer first. This ensures a smooth activation process and prevents any conflicts or issues from arising. By following the outlined steps, you can easily deactivate Norton on your old computer and proceed with activating it on your new device.
Transferring Subscription and Settings
One of the most important steps when switching to a new computer is transferring your Norton antivirus subscription and custom settings. By doing this, you can maintain a seamless and personalized antivirus experience on your new device without having to set up everything from scratch. In this article, we will guide you through the process of transferring your Norton subscription and settings to a new computer.
1. Prepare your Norton account information: Before you can transfer your Norton subscription and settings, make sure you have your Norton account login credentials handy. You will need them to access your account and manage your subscription.
2. Uninstall Norton from your old computer: Start by uninstalling Norton from your old computer. To do this, go to the Control Panel, select “Programs,” and then click on “Uninstall a program.” Locate Norton in the list of installed programs and select it. Follow the prompts to complete the uninstallation process.
3. Download and install Norton on the new computer: On your new computer, open a web browser and go to the Norton website. Log in to your Norton account using the account information you prepared in step 1. Once logged in, navigate to the “Download Norton” section and click on the download button. Follow the on-screen instructions to download and install Norton on your new computer.
4. Activate Norton on the new computer: After the installation is complete, open the Norton program on your new computer. You will be prompted to activate your subscription. Click on the “Activate Now” button and enter your Norton account credentials when prompted. Follow the activation process to activate Norton on your new computer.
5. Transfer subscription and custom settings: Now comes the crucial step of transferring your subscription and custom settings to the new computer. To do this, log in to your Norton account on the new computer. Once logged in, navigate to the “My Norton” section and click on “Manage My Subscriptions.” Locate the subscription you want to transfer and click on the “Download” button. This will initiate the transfer process and download your subscription to the new computer.
Furthermore, to transfer your custom settings, go to the “My Norton” section again and click on “Manage My Subscriptions.” Locate the subscription with custom settings and click on the “Manage” button. On the subscription details page, click on “Download” under the “Settings” section. This will download a file containing your custom settings.
6. Import custom settings on the new computer: Once the file with your custom settings is downloaded, double-click on it to import the settings into Norton on your new computer. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the import process.
7. Verify and update your settings: After transferring your subscription and custom settings, it’s essential to verify and update them on the new computer. Open Norton and navigate to the settings section to ensure that all your preferences and configurations have been transferred correctly. Make any necessary adjustments or updates according to your preferences.
By following these steps, you can easily transfer your Norton subscription and custom settings to a new computer. This will help you maintain a seamless and personalized antivirus experience, ensuring that your new device is protected against threats and adheres to your specific preferences.
Image: Transferring Norton Subscription and Settings