Here’s what caught my eye over the weekend…5/6/13

Legislative Wrap Up Coverage:

Lawmakers approve $74.5 billion budget on last day of session
Daytona Beach News-Journal
Daytona State College: $3 million toward remodeling theater building on main campus for a new student services building.

Projects Still Await Scott’s Approval
The Ledger
Local lobbyist David Shepp was pleased with the $750,000 for the Frank Lloyd Wright education and tourist center and the $350,000 for repairs to the Annie Pfeiffer Chapel, both at Florida Southern College

GCSC Could Get $14 Million for STEM Building
wmbb
The 14 million is set to go to Gulf Coast State College for a new STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) Education Center…

Money earmarked for Treasure Coast under new state budget
TCPalm
Indian River State College is also set to receive $2 million to upgrade the St. Lucie West buildings it took over from Florida Atlantic University. IRSC plans to have the campus ready for classes by 2014-15 or sooner…

Bill to support Miami Dade College dies on last day of session
MiamiHerald.com
Miami Dade College will have to wait another year — at least — for a half-penny sales tax…

Budget has more local projects
Sarasota Herald-Tribune
…Sarasota and Manatee counties weren’t left out of the funding bonanza. Among the local projects are $5 million for the rowing facility at Nathan Benderson Park, $1.6 million for the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine in Lakewood Ranch and $2.1 million for repairs to the Cook Library on the New College of Florida campus.

Polk State College Receives Bounty From Lawmakers
The Ledger
Lawmakers bestowed a bountiful proposed budget upon Polk State College before closing the legislative session…

At a glance: Bills that passed in Fla. Legislature
MiamiHerald.com
…Will roll back graduation standards adopted just three years ago; let the University of Florida take the lead in online education and offer bachelor degrees completely online…

Banner year for FSU, higher education institutions
Tallahassee Democrat (blog)
It was a milestone legislative session for the state’s public universities. For the second year in a row, lawmakers approved a bill establishing preeminent universities. But this time they didn’t package it with tuition increases that would prompt the governor to veto the measure, as he did last year. This means that Florida State would receive $15 million in additional revenue each of the next five years as it works to climb into the top 25 of the nation’s public universities. It was ranked No. 42 last year. University of Florida would receive similar funding with an equally heady goal of moving into the top 10 from its current No. 18 ranking. This year also marked the first time in seven years that the budget included new money for the State University System, which had been cut by more than $1 billion during the past six years…

Florida lawmakers boost education spending, expand online learning
Tampa Bay Times
Teachers won raises. School districts got a boost in per-pupil funding. Charter schools nearly doubled their construction and maintenance dollars. When it came to the state budget, education was one of the session’s biggest winners…

Interesting Report:

What We Know About Online Course Outcomes
Community College Research Center, Teachers College of Columbia University
Since 2010, online college course enrollment has increased by 29%. Currently, 6.7 million students, or roughly one-third of all college students, are enrolled in online courses. Community colleges in particular have embraced online education as a way to better serve their large numbers of nontraditional students, many of whom juggle multiple responsibilities. In 2008, 97% of two-year colleges were offering online courses, compared with only 66% of all postsecondary institutions. Online students had significantly higher rates of failure or course dropout relative to face-to-face instruction. In addition, students who took online courses were less likely to persist and attain a degree.

Special Section: Commencement Coverage

AMU Commencement Speakers Offer Practical and Spiritual Advice
The Ave Herald
The 2013 graduating class of Ave Maria University heard some words of practical – and spiritual – advice Saturday morning…

Gov. Scott tells college students an important word to learn 
Naples Daily News
Governor Rick Scott talks Gregory Colker of the Class of 2013…

174 collect their degrees at Ave Maria graduation
The News-Press
The faces of 174 Ave Maria University graduates were full of hope and wreathed in smiles Saturday as they received their diplomas during the school’s ninth graduation ceremony…

From homeless to college grad: Story of B-CU student inspires
Daytona Beach News-Journal
University of Central Florida: Ceremonies were May 2-4 with about 7,800 students, including 298 from Volusia County and 28 from Flagler County. He would leave the secure surroundings of the Bethune-Cookman University campus and head across the 

Broward College grads stand out in flashy shoes at commencement
Sun-Sentinel
Nearly 1,000 proud graduates walked across the stage toward their bright futures — albeit with the flashiest of footwear. As the Broward College students stepped toward their diplomas Saturday, their sky-high, bedazzled platforms, sporty kicks and spike-studded heels, among other styles, stood out in the sea of formal caps and gowns…

Family affair: Mother, twin daughters graduate together from Edison State College
Naples Daily News
Heather and Tiffany Zutten, left to right, stand in the preparation area before the start of the Edison State College Graduation at Germain Arena on Friday, May 3, 2013 in Estero, Fla…

More than 1400 students from various campuses gather for Edison State College
The News-Press
Edison State College student Danielle Johnston celebrates with her fellow graduates before walking into the arena at her graduation on Friday at Germain Arena…

Mom and twin daughters receive college degrees together – WINK News
Wink News
More than 1,100 Edison State College students graduated Friday night in the school’s first college-wide graduation, but it was an extra special night for one local family.

Rev. Al Sharpton offers advice to new FAMU grads
Tallahassee.com
The Rev. Al Sharpton didn’t pull any punches when addressing Florida A&M University’s 2013 graduates at the Al Lawson Center Saturday afternoon…

Graduates Prepare For Job Market
WCTV
Graduation weekend has arrived in our area with thousands of students ready to receive that important diploma. For many, the employment picture isn’t as clear as they had hoped for. FAMU senior Michael Jefferson will receive his bachelor’s degree in environmental sciences Saturday. It’s a moment four years in the making. “It’s finished and now everything can really begin,” said Jefferson.

FGC graduates 700
Lake City Reporter
For more than Florida Gateway College students, “Pomp and Circumstance” was more than the title to the ubiquitous graduation song…

1168 graduate from Florida Tech
Florida Today
Florida Institute of Technology’s 2013 Spring Commencement Undergraduate Ceremony was held Saturday morning at the Charles and Ruth Clemente Center for Sports and Recreation in Melbourne…

Keys college graduates 80
Florida Keys Keynoter
Chris Minnerly, 20, graduated from Florida Keys Community College on Friday and was scheduled to give the commencement address…

Graduation Begins: Florida State University [SLIDE SHOW]
WCTV
National Hurricane Center Director Richard Knabb, Florida nature film producer Elam Stoltzfus and U.S. Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki will deliver the commencement addresses at Florida State University’s three spring graduation ceremonies.

FSU PC Graduates plan to stay local
The News Herald
As they crossed the stage and got their diplomas Sunday 351 Florida State University Panama City graduates had a special moment. “Today is the moment in our lives — a snap shot…

GCSC Graduation
WJHG-TV
Gulf Coast State College held it’s 2013 exercises Friday night at the Panama City Marina Civic Center. 357-students received either a 2-or-4 year degree Friday night.

Rain cancels IRSC graduation Friday, but event is rescheduled for Saturday 
TCPalm
“A little rain never hurt anybody,” said Walter Piscatelli, of Okeechobee after he was one of the last to head for cover as rain fell on the Indian River State College graduates before the Spring 2013 …

MIAMI-DADE COLLEGE GRADUATION
MiamiHerald.com
More than 13,000 students graduated Saturday from Miami-Dade College, including Andrea Nicole Castillo, who died in a Hialeah police-involved car crash last year…

Latin star Marc Anthony delights Ringling grads with address
Bradenton Herald
The moment Latin music star Marc Anthony stepped on the stage at the Bradenton Area Convention Center on Friday, electricity shot through the Ringling College of Art and Design 2013 commencement crowd like the moment before a concert…

FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate to Speak at SF Commencement
Santa Fe College
Santa Fe College will hold spring commencement in the Northwest Campus gymnasium, 7 pm Friday. Approximately 1300 students have applied to graduate…

State College of Florida graduation highlights
Bradenton Herald
…Shining Moment: Recognition of the ceremonial mace bearer Pam Stewart, professor of art, design and humanities, and who is retiring after 55 years at SCF, making her one of the first faculty members to be hired at the school…

President Clinton lauds UCF collaboration with Orlando firms in commencement
Orlando Sentinel
Clinton, who was granted an honorary doctorate of humane letters, was the first president to speak at a University of Central Florida commencement since President Richard Nixon in 1973…

Pictures: Former President Bill Clinton at UCF
Orlando Sentinel
Former President Bill Clinton receives an honorary doctorate degree from University of Central Florida President Dr. John Hitt during the commencement ceremony for the College of Health and Public Affairs…

No politics from Bill Clinton during UCF commencement address
WOGX
Former President Bill Clinton gave the commencement address for the graduating students in the afternoon session at the University of Central Florida, but politics was not part of his speech.

UF graduations conclude Sunday
Gainesville Sun
Most University of Florida students who weren’t graduating this weekend probably left town shortly after their last exam — or post-exam party — but some students stuck around to see friends graduate — or in the case of Michael Keen, to see his wife 

Fifty-seven Gator student-athletes to receive degrees this weekend
WTXL ABC 27
A total of 57 University of Florida student-athletes will be earning their degrees in commencement ceremonies being held Friday through Sunday at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center on the UF campus.

Commencement Scenes – University of South Florida
The weekend features several USF Commencement Ceremonies in Tampa, StPetersburg and Sarasota-Manatee…

Hundreds to graduate from USF this weekend
Bay News 9
Hundreds of students will receive their hard-earned college degrees on Friday. The University of South Florida Tampa will hold five commencement ceremonies on Friday and Saturday at the USF Sun Dome…

Woman, 74, earns Master’s degree – Bay News 9
Bay News 9
At 74-years-old, Joan Schoenling is the oldest student to get a diploma at the University of South Florida this year…

Hard work, optimism pay off for 4 ‘outstanding’ USF-SM grads
Bradenton Herald
Delma McClain shows off her custom cap before the 2013 University of South Florida Sarasota-Manatee spring graduation Sunday at the Bradenton Area Convention Center…

NEW: USF Sarasota-Manatee 2013 spring commencement a family affair
Sarasota Herald-Tribune
For hundreds attending the Spring 2013 commencement ceremony for more than 300 graduates of the University of South Florida Sarasota-Manatee, on Sunday, watching a child, grandchild — and, in some cases, parent — receive a diploma …

Caps and gowns galore as USF St. Petersburg graduates
Tampabay.com
The auditorium was wall-to-wall packed Sunday evening with cheering grads and their whooping, sometimes crying supporters for the University of South Florida St. Petersburg‘s 2013 commencement ceremony…

State University System

Tornado cuts half-mile path of minor damage near Florida Atlantic University campus 
The Republic
The National Weather Service says a tornado cut a half-mile path of damage near the Florida Atlantic University campus. Meteorologists say the tornado touched down Thursday afternoon in Boca Raton. The weather service says the tornado packed 70-mph winds…

Florida Polytechnic mulling no tenure for professors
Tampa Bay Times
Florida Polytechnic University‘s board will be asked next week to approve a non-tenure model for hiring and retaining faculty. Instead of the possibility of earning lifetime positions, Polytechnic professors will be offered nine- or 12-month contracts that can be renewed…

Selingo’s new book dissects the ‘decay’ of modern-day higher education
Washington Post (blog)
Insiders know higher education is in upheaval, with free online classes proliferating, tuition surging and public universities struggling. Perhaps worst of all, too many students leave school with high debt and no degrees. Outsiders — namely, students and parents — wonder what is going on…Jeffrey J. Selingo, a veteran D.C. journalist, aims to make sense of all this in “College (Un)Bound” (Amazon Publishing/New Harvest, 238 pp.), which goes on sale Tuesday…The book also offers a primer to innovations transforming colleges as they scramble to adapt to a new market after the 2008 financial crisis. Massive open online courses, or MOOCs, are just one. Others include initiatives to grant credit for “competency” in skills rather than time spent in class; digital systems to help match students to the right colleges and guide them to the most efficient course of study to obtain a degree; and hybrid learning environments at schools such as the University of Central Florida, where students move seamlessly back and forth between online and in-person class work…

In The Swampland of Florida, Student Journalism Emerges
Campus Progress
The Fine Print, a bimonthly, student publication based at the University of Florida, delivers a unique brand of advocacy journalism…

UF researchers: ‘Nanotrain’ holds promise for targeting only cancer cells
Gainesville Sun
The body is often compared to a system of highways, and a new potential way of delivering cancer therapy builds on that analogy: The “DNA nanotrain” developed by University of Florida researchers can both target cancer cells and deliver the right drugs …

UF supercomputer supersizing research
Gainesville Sun
If not for the total absence of windows, the new University of Florida Data Center at the Eastside Campus on Waldo Road would look like many of the red brick buildings around the main campus…

More than 200 colleges, universities still accepting students for fall
Washington Post
The annual Space Availability Survey is conducted by the National Association for College Admissions Counseling and can be found here. Here’s a fact sheet with more details. The schools — 28 percent public and 72 percent private — include the University of Maryland, the University of Florida, the University of Arizona, the University of Michigan at Dearborn, St. Mary’s College of Maryland, Mary Baldwin College in Virginia, Morehouse College, two branches of Indiana University, Frostburg State University in Maryland, the University of the District of Columbia, Notre Dame of Maryland University, Trinity Washington University in D.C., Southern Methodist University in Texas…

Momentum builds for Florida’s medical device makers
Tampabay.com
If I look at the Tampa Bay region, at USF (University of South Florida) and CAMLS (Center for Advanced Medical Learning and Simulation in Tampa) and the focus on new products, I think a lot of building blocks are in place…

New USF St. Petersburg degree focuses on world languages, culture
Tampabay.com
The University of South Florida St. Petersburg announced it will offer a new bachelor of arts in world languages and cultures starting this fall…

UWF incorrectly awards Quint Studer scholarships
Pensacola News Journal
In the spring of 2012, when the University of West Florida’s admissions office was in the midst of the biggest enrollment campaign in its 50-year history, school officials discovered a costly mistake in awarding 15 scholarships…

Tourism is a $113 million business in Santa Rosa
Pensacola News Journal
Those are among the findings of a $15,000 study conducted by the University of West Florida’s Haas Center for Business Research & Economic Development. The study was requested by the Santa Rosa County Tourist Development Council…

UWF, Rotary Clubs to give Ethics in Business award
Pensacola News Journal
The University of West Florida and the Combined Rotary Clubs of Pensa-cola will host the 11th annual Combined Rotary of Pensacola Ethics in Business Award ceremony Monday…

State College System

Two-year degrees take longer in Florida
The News-Press
Associate degrees are designed as two-year programs, but that doesn’t mean it takes two years to finish…

Local Welding Company Closes, Says it is Owed $300000 for Work in the Miami 
The Ledger
Ajax was the general contractor on a parking garage being built for Miami Dade College in Doral. The five-story, $20 million concrete garage collapsed Oct. 10, killing four workers…

Bomb Squad Called to Miami Dade College North Campus After Man Fatally Shot by Police
NBC 6 South Florida
Click Here! The bomb squad was called to Miami Dade College’s North campus after an armed man was fatally shot by police Saturday afternoon, officials said…

Language Program Seeks Host Families in Polk County
The Ledger
Host families will be asked to house and feed the students and provide them with transportation to and from the closest Polk State College campus — Lakeland …

Man dead, 2 in custody after shooting involving Orlando police
Orlando Sentinel
Dozens of armed officers pointed rifles at woods near Valencia Community College’s west campus…

Independent Colleges and Universities

Flagler advanced poetry class publishes book
St. Augustine Record
“The idea for the book started in my advanced poetry class at Flagler College with the help of my dad” says Jenni Sujka of Winter Park who compiled the collection of poems in “Running on Saint George Street.”

Cornell Museum at Rollins wins prestigious grant
Orlando Sentinel
The Cornell Fine Arts Museum at Rollins College has been awarded an Interpretive Fellowship at Art Museums from the Samuel H. Kress Foundation.

Friends team up to open sports apparel store in DeLand
Daytona Beach News-Journal
Stetson University sports fans now have a new place in town where they can buy all the sports-related clothing they want…

Yip Yap: Noted and Quoted FLHE Voices from Around the State

Schultz commentary: At FAU, can reality overcome denial?
Palm Beach Post
You might be wondering if attitudes have changed at Florida Atlantic University after 10 weeks of awful publicity. That depends on whose attitude. On April 16, the FAU board of trustees met for the first time since The GEO Group, a private prison and detention company, withdrew its $6 million offer to name the university’s football stadium. After FAU announced the deal on Feb. 19, the “step on Jesus” controversy also brought the wrong kind of attention, mostly from the university’s mangled reaction. To top things off, FAU professor James Tracy — who on a personal blog had suggested that the Newtown, Conn., school shooting was a government exercise — already had questioned the Boston Marathon bombing, which happened the day before the trustees gathered…

Maxwell: Walking on eggshells in arena of ideas
Tampabay.com
Kafkaesque is the description of how the life of professor Deandre Poole of Florida Atlantic University has morphed. His career may be ruined. On March 4, Poole used a classroom activity in his intercultural communications class that involved having students write “Jesus” on a piece of paper and then asking them to “step on it.” If students hesitated, or refused, the teacher has an opportunity to discuss symbols and their meanings. Most of the students refused to step on the paper…

Death penalty needs real reform, not speed-up
MiamiHerald.com
The Florida Senate last week passed a bill to speed up executions entitled, the Timely Justice Act. It was sponsored by Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fort Walton Beach. He’s the House Criminal Justice Subcommittee chairman. The House had passed the bill earlier by an overwhelming margin after members quoted from scripture…Raoul Cantero is a former Florida Supreme Court justice now in private practice in Miami. Mark Schlakman, senior program director for the Center for the Advancement of Human Rights at Florida State University, is immediate past board chair of the Innocence Project of Florida.

Column: For our health care, a new medicine
Tampabay.com
The keys to that transformation are embedded in our community in the form of entrepreneurs, existing life science companies, research facilities and universities: University of South Florida Health (and its multitude of initiatives), Moffitt Cancer 

Trial set for May 13 in deadly FAMU hazing
Orlando Sentinel
Former FAMU drum major Rikki Wills rejected a plea deal Friday in the fatal hazing of his roommate Robert Champion and is set to become the first ex-band member to go to trial in the case. Wills, 24, did not appear in court with Orlando attorney Bill Hancock, who informed Circuit Judge Donald Myers of the former student band leader’s decision. Jury selection for the trial is scheduled to begin May 13 in Orange County.

Billionaire Mark Cuban among investors in Boca Raton’s LinguaSys
South Florida Business Journal
Billionaire Mark Cuban is among six investors who raised $1 million in seed capital for LinguaSys. The company, which provides translation and multilingual text analytics to businesses and government, started in the Technology Business Incubator at the Research Park at Florida Atlantic University.

Fago Smith Turns Down Florida Atlantic Gig After Gossip Extra Stories!
Gossip Extra
One day after the publication of a Gossip Extra exclusive about the tighter-then-claimed relationship between embattled Florida Atlantic University President Mary Jane Saunders and Palm Beach Gardens businesswoman Elizabeth Fago Smith, Fago Smith declined her gubernatorial appointment to the Boca Raton school’s board of trustees! In a brief hand-written note to Gov. Rick Scott, Fago Smith acknowledged a business relationship with the university — in direct contradiction of what she claimed in her nomination questionnaire…

The Effects of Bilingualism and SES on Language Development
Decoded Science
Over the years, Professor of Developmental Psychology, Erika Hoff, on the faculty of Florida Atlantic University, has focused many of her studies on the effects of bilingualism and SES on language development and has published a recent article on the subject. In a series of interviews, Decoded Science took the opportunity to discuss the issue of language development of children from minority language homes with Professor Hoff, and explore what part SES plays in language development…

Chalkboard: Ex-FGCU president McTarnaghan an academic first, fan second
The News-Press
No one appreciated FGCU’s magical NCAA tournament run more than Roy McTarnaghan, the university’s first president. He is an avid Eagles fan who attends as many home games as possible, even though he never dreamed Florida Gulf Coast University could support intercollegiate athletics so soon. “A university has to start on a solid academic footing,” McTarnaghan said…

Inspiration and collaboration propel winning EyeTalk team
MiamiHerald.com
EyeTalk began as a Florida International University business professor’s social entrepreneurship challenge to students last fall. Four students who stepped up — Viurniel Sanchez, Jesus Amundarain and Esam Mashni, all engineering graduate students…

Professor Hannibal Travis: United Nations Reaction Muted to Warning Signs of 
The Herald | HeraldOnline.com
Travis, Associate Professor of Law at Florida International University, noted a “pattern of reprisals against religious and ethnic groups believed to be friendly with the regime” in the Arab revolutions and civil wars which began in 2011…

JU professor among world’s top economic writers — ahead of Ben Bernanke
Business Journal
Jacksonville University Professor of Finance Richard Cebula has been ranked among the top economic writers in the world, higher than the infamous Ben Bernanke, chairman of the Federal Reserve…

Lynn student with eye to grad school concerned about student visa changes
WPBF.com
Lynn University student Gabriela Regalado is re-applying for a student visa to attend graduate school, but she is concerned about new regulations after the Boston bombings…

Former Polk State Softball Coach Inducted into Hall of Fame
The Ledger
Former Polk State College softball coach Laurel Smith was inducted into the FCSAA (Florida College System Athletic Association) Softball Hall of Fame…

Scott heads into election season with legislative lift
Gainesville Sun
Scott’s poll numbers have been so poor, he needed a legislative session in which he did not create new enemies or antagonize those who already view him unfavorably, said Aubrey Jewett, a University of Central Florida political science professor…

Was Broward County one of three counties ‘pivotal’ for Obama?
PolitiFact
Obama won enough votes in the electoral college without Florida, so the state — and Broward — weren’t pivotal, University of Central Florida professor Aubrey Jewett told PolitiFact in an email. “Not sure I would say Broward was the only pivotal …

Area is hot again for real estate flipping, study finds
Sarasota Herald-Tribune
“A bunch of things have come together, and there’s this window of opportunity right now for people who can buy homes in bulk, turn around and flip them,” said Sean Snaith, an economist with the University of Central Florida.

Judge grants a new trial to polo mogul John Goodman
TCPalm
Fifteenth Judicial Circuit Judge Jeffrey Colbath has decided International Polo Club Palm Beach founder John Goodman should be retried in connection with the death of University of Central Florida student Scott Wilson.

UF professor arrested in assault case, GPD says
Gainesville Sun
A University of Florida faculty member has been arrested on multiple charges related to an incident in which police say she held a woman captive and threatened her, according to a report. The Gainesville Police Department gave this account: Susan Marie O’Brien, 49, an associate professor of history, went to the victim’s home around 3 p.m. Wednesday to return some items to her. When the victim opened the door, O’Brien forced her way inside. As the victim attempted to call 911, O’Brien tried to yank the phone away and grabbed her throat before ripping the victim’s shirt…

Legislature makes Medicaid ‘a giant lingering issue’
Gainesville Sun
“It’s a giant lingering issue,” said University of South Florida political science professor Susan MacManus.

Sens. Cruz, Rubio diverge on compromise
San Francisco Chronicle
“Rubio was Speaker of the House (in Florida), which means he had to broker deals,” said Susan MacManus, a political scientist at the University of South Florida. “It explains a lot about him.”

Legislature Finds Way To Work Together
The Ledger
University of South Florida political scientist and commentator Susan MacManus agreed about McKeel. “The bottom line is that because he hasn’t been the center of the news, he must be doing well in his first year in the job…

Doctor Protests Misuse of His Research for Politics
Health News Florida
Dr. Richard Roetzheim, a family medicine professor at University of South Florida, says that is happening to him. He says his studies are being used in misleading ways by conservative opponents of Medicaid expansion under the Affordable Care Act…

Autism speaker will be at local event
Pensacola News Journal
Keynote speaker Temple Grandin was diagnosed with autism as a child. Since then, she has authored books, developed a successful career in animal science and has been portrayed by actress Claire Danes in an HBO film about her life…The event — sponsored by the University of West Florida and Autism Pensacola — will run from May 13-15 at the UWF Conference Center. Grandin, currently a Colorado State University professor, is scheduled to speak at 9 a.m. on May 14.

State of pre-K: A look at Florida’s voluntary pre-K system
Pensacola News Journal
Early learning expert Craig Jones, an associate professor at the University of West Florida, will take part in a one-hour chat with News Journal education reporter Erin Kourkounis at 3:30 p.m. Monday…

5 Questions with Rod Lewis
Pensacola News Journal
Rod Lewis received his doctorate in political science from Florida State University in 2006 with a doctoral minor in ecometrics and joined the Haas Center soon after that. He has participated in numerous local, regional and statewide projects analyzing everything from the potential economic impact of various enterprises to workforce issues.1 • What is the Haas Center’s mission and its relationship to the University of West Florida? The Haas Center is part of the University of West Florida’s Office of Economic Development and Engagement. The Center executes contract research projects…

NEW: Calusa Indians dominated our coast in 1500
Sarasota Herald-Tribune
“There’s an instantaneous connection people can make,” says John Worth, a Pine Island researcher who now teaches at the University of West Florida in Pensacola…

Releases and Web Stories

Publix Super Markets Charities supports Flagler Fund – readMedia Newswire
ReadMedia (press release)
AUGUSTINE, FL (05/03/2013)(readMedia)– Flagler College was recently awarded $5,000 from Publix Super Markets Charities in support of the Flagler Fund for Student Financial Aid.

Letter Opener Collection Tells Tale of Worldwide Travels
Santa Fe College
How did Santa Fe College garner a Guinness World Record? By way of a passionate collector and generous donor named William L. Brown…